Katrina
Lungo il tragitto verso la Swamp il Siòre della swamp ha attraversato New Orleans east, began to tell, and Alice and the Determination have seen. Then more than what you see and what you see.
The east side, which is where Katrina hit, not a tourist area, was a residential area. It is now a deserted city. Houses, streets, shops, without a soul or a car.
Commercial centers and hospitals which are seen were more or less cleaned up but they are all closed, "the doctors and shopkeepers have not returned, and everything 'was empty ... even the churches no longer have' re-opened!" Sior tells the Swamp. "I have a house along the river, I've seen hurricanes, tornadoes and floods ... my home was a stilt house, to 6 feet high. Houses are designed on purpose to mock the river when the river rises and goes under we will not miss bathe your toes! But with Katrina and my house 's over all in the river, when I came back there was more' anything. Now slowly we are rebuilding the ... and this time we got up to 10 feet above the ground, we help between neighbors ... We are the few who decided to stay, but I'm going mica! I was born and raised near the river, he comes and goes, but I'm staying "
The area was inhabited by lower middle classes, and after the hurricane who have gone it and started over elsewhere. Now, if one does not pay taxes on the house for over two years, the state seizure, so most of the people who have found themselves the butt on the ground and forced to stay after two years have lost their homes and ended up on the street.
There is an area about one kilometer long, flat houses, live in brick, without glass windows; a lot of people have camped there, without water, power or right, do not pay the rent nor taxes, how they can survive and it gives to those who like terribly annoying but our driver is rebuilding while being strangled by debt I pay, and my house still is not over, they camped there and the standard was not chasing them even "E ' that war between the poor and more poor people could be seen even in the Argentine countryside, where those who have little to those who look with suspicion niente.
Ma d'altro canto che ci fai in un posto dove non c'è nulla, i tuoi figli non hanno una scuola dove andare e tu devi farti i chilometri per comprare il pane o trovare un dottore? Ci resti solo se sei intrappolato e non hai altre alternative.
Quindi al momento la zona che era più danneggiata è pulita ma deserta.
Le zone turistiche, come il French Quarter e il Garden district, non sono state praticamente toccate dall'uragano, l'acqua non è andata oltre i due piedi, e in alcuni punti non è arrivata proprio.
Le agenzie turistiche offrono, per prezzi ragionevoli, i "Katrina Tour", visite guidate su pulmini che, per circa 40 dollari vi portano nell'area Est di New Orleans.
Alice e il Grinta non hanno fatto il Katrina Tour, perchè ad Alice la cosa sembra lugubre e ha avuto uno dei suoi soliti pensieri un po' cosi': "Se mi vola via la casa e restano solo i muri, se qualcuno che amo crepa in una tragedia del genere, se io perdo il posto dove vivo e poi c'è qualcuno che, dopo qualche anno, si fa i soldi passando con un pullmino turistico a vedere le macerie della mia vita, io a quello lo sputo e il pulmino glielo brucio". Questo l'Alice-pensiero nè, ma ci sono altre mille punti di vista e mille buone ragioni per cui andare a fare un giro nelle macerie potrebbe essere invece doveroso e giusto... quindi se ci andate e lo fate, poi ditemi com'era.
Alice raccontatrice
Ps
Then there are stories with happy endings, like the one told by the chef of The Green Goddess, which opened less than two years and has a small menu, strange and amazing (the Determination forced me to photograph him, he wants to try to copy at least a couple of dishes).
"I worked as a waiter in a restaurant. After Katrina have lost their homes and work well, given that the room he never opened and the cook is gone ... I did not know what to do and then I said, 'You know that c 'is, I'm almost 60 years, if I throw now that I have nothing to lose when you try?' I took a loan, I started with five tables and a handyman help ... I had never done a cook but I love cooking and I love inventing new things and ... I'm here now, and it's amazing: I'm having fun, people like my cooking, I invent something new every month, sometimes wrong, sometimes not, but this is also the beautiful! "
Pps This story is for everyone, but especially for someone ;-)
0 comments:
Post a Comment